How to Play DVD on Windows 10 (Even Without a DVD Drive)?
Microsoft long abandoned Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player, moving on to new solutions that better match the competition. Windows Media Center isn’t in Windows 10 at all, and won’t get another update. Windows Media Player is in Windows 10, but Microsoft has gutted its DVD playback capabilities. So, when you upgraded to Windows 10, how can you play DVD movies on Windows 10?
Since Windows 10 lacks the necessary software to play DVD, you can add it. Ans of course, Microsoft will be happy to sell it to you: The Windows DVD Player app is now available from the Windows Store for $14.99. If that seems like too steep a price to keep your DVD collection alive and spinning, here’s good news: You can watch DVDs on your Windows 10 PC for free. Here’s what you need:
- A DVD-ROM drive, either internal or external. (Looking to watch Blu-ray media? Skip to the bottom.)
- VideoLAN’s VLC desktop software, an open-source (read: free to use) media player that includes support for DVD media. (Note that I don’t recommend the VLC app in the Windows Store, which is a separate version that does not support DVD playback.)
During the VLC installation process, make sure “Discs Playback” is selected (it is by default). Once it’s installed and running, pop in your DVD, then click Media > Open Disc…, or just press Ctrl-D.
Besides VLC, there are some other apps that help you play DVD on Windows 10, such as CyberLink PowerDVD, Corel WinDVD Pro or similar. Once installed, these apps will provide the DVD and Blu-ray playback feature. Other alternatives for playing DVDs and Blu-ray discs include KMPlayer, which is almost as versatile as VLC Player, and Daum PotPlayer.
These apps are free by avoiding the licensing requirements for DVD and Blu-ray playback software; instead, the technology has been reverse engineered. You may find that there is no support for 3D Blu-ray movies, because that encryption has not yet been reverse engineered.
It is the Time to Abandon Physical Media
Actually, Microsoft has noticed the trend the lack of optical drives in new computers is a symbol of changing habits. So if you are still playing DVD with DVD Drive, now might be the time to consider creating and using virtual discs, software images that can be played back on your computer without the requirement for an optical disc or drive.
Naturally, by ripping DVD to hard drive on Windows 10 can make you play DVD movies on Windows 10 without needing DVD drive any more. With DVD Ripper, you can rip and copy your DVD collection to External Hard Drive on PC with optical drives and then you can play the DVD movies on your laptop/netbook/notebook without needing DVD drive.
Pavtube ByteCopy is the best DVD Ripper for Windows 10. It is fully compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7 and has very good stability. It can decrypt commercial DVD copy protection by removing CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney x-project DRM, etc then copy and convert DVD on Windows 10. Learn >> reasons to choose Pavtube ByteCopy.
Key Features of DVD Ripper for Windows 10
– 1:1 backup DVD with original video structure on Windows 10.
– Directly copy main title of DVD to VOB file.
– Copy DVD content to uncompressed MKV files with chapter markers.
– Convert DVD to MP4/MOV/AVI with multiple subtitle and audio tracks.
– Rip DVD with AAC 5.1 channels and AC3 5.1 channel.
– Also can decrypt Blu-ray on Windows 10.
Let’s Start to Rip DVD for Windows 10 playing
Step 1: Run DVD ripping tool and insert your DVD to internal/external drive and click “File” to load the DVD discs to copy on Windows 10. DVD discs, DVD folders, DVD IFO/ISO are all supported.
1.You can add more than one DVD movies at a time for its batch conversion function.
2. You can choose desired subtitle and audio track and forced subtitle below the chapter list.
Step 2: If you want to keep all the information in DVD movies, including main title, advertisement, chapter markers, review and the whole audio/subtitle streams. Click on the top of the menu. Just for the main title of the original DVD disc, please navigate to “Format” > “Copy” > “Directly Copy”.
If you want to play DVD with Windows 10 media player freely, you can choose to copy DVD to lossless MKV or multi-track MP4 from “Multi-track Video” catelog. For Windows Media Player, the WMV is of course the best choice in “Common Video” and “HD Video”.
Step 3. Then hit the big “Convert” button on ByteCopy main UI and rip DVD movies to multi-track MKV on Windows 10. Once it finishes, open output folder and get the created multi-track MKV movie for watching on both TV and tablet.
Through copying DVD on Windows 10, you can play it without DVD Drive. An added benefit of DVD ripping is that it increases the lifespan of your original media–wear, tear, and mold means that DVDs won’t last forever.
- Can I play DVD on Chromebook offline?
- Practical Tips for watching DVD Movie with Widescreen TV
- Best Software to Extract DVD Audio to Laptop
- Rip and Backup Family DVD to NAS for Viewing via Kodi on Samsung TV 55 inches
- Backup DVD to QNAP TS-x53 for Playback with Plex