Can You Watch 3D Blu-ray on Oculus Rift CV1?
Do you want a really neat way to watch movies with a private, gigantic, optionally stereoscopic screen at home? If so, get a Oculus Rift CV1 to view your own 3D movies. The Oculus Rift CV1 has higher resolution than the Oculus Rift DK2. If you have got some degree of disappointment of the low resolution of Oculus Rift DK 2/1, the new released Oculus Rfit CV1 would achieve your expectation. Here tells you how to watch 3D video (3D Blu-ray) with Oculus Rift CV1.
As a person who have just unboxed his Oculus Rift CV1, he probably gets confused how to watch a 3D video on Oculus Rift CV1. Don’t be chaotic. Follow the steps below one by one to make the best of your Oculus Rift CV1.
To view 3D movie on Oculus Rift CV1, you should prepare:
A 3D movie. Please remember: If you turn a 2D movie in a 3D one, none of your existing 2D titles will work perfectly. You need to download a true 3D video or you can buy a 3D Blu-ray movie than rip it to right 3D SBS video for your CV1. I have a 3D Bu-ray so I will test the CV1 with 3D Blu-ray. If you want to download 3D video from website, here are some popular 3D video download sites:
- YIFY Torrents
- The Illustrated 3D Movie List
- The Pirate Bay
- YouTube 3D Channel
An Oculus Rift CV1: You surely have it when you are studying the tutorial.
A VR Video Player: I searched on Google and read many Oculus Rift CV1 user reviews then I found two 3D VR video players for CV1 which are popular among customers. One is Whirligig. It works well for full screen 3d movies. Virtual Desktop is the another way to go. 3D movies look better then Oculus Cinema, in my opinion.
Rip 3D Blu-ray to 3D SBS Video for Oculus Rift CV1
As I said before, I need to play 3D Blu-ray with Oculus Rift CV1 since I didn’t download any 3D demo. If you have a 3D movie, just skip the step. Or you also can try to rip your 3D Blu-ray movies, like the classic Avatar.
To rip 3D Blu-ray to 3D SBS for CV1, you need a 3D Blu-ray Ripper. I tried Pavtube ByteCopy for Windows/Mac from Pavtube Studio: cheap, original quality preserving, perfectly 3D effect, easy to use, 3D SBS/OU MP4/MKV/WMV/AVI/MOV offer, fast Blu-ray ripping speed, no adware/spyware.
Step 1: Download and install a the 3D Blu-ray Ripper: Windows Pavtube 3D Blu-ray Ripper, Mac Pavtube 3D Blu-ray Ripper
Step 2: Load your source Blu-ray movie by click “File” > “Load from Disc”. From the “Format” drop-down list, you are suggested to follow the path “3D Video > MP4 Side-by-Side 3D Video(*.mp4)” for ripping Blu-ray to side-by-side 3D MP4 video for CV1.
Step 3: Settings:
Oculus Rift CV1 claimed officially the specs of CV1 is 1200×1080 (per eye) but not by that much, at 1080×1200 per eye (to my best knowledge). With the DK2, the effective display resolution for watching movies on the biggest screen size that’s still comfortable is not quite 480p. So for high fidelity, you can downsize it to 960×1080 per eye or other lower resolution. You can adjust the size in “Settings” in Pavtube ByteCopy and different bitrate, size leads different 3D effect in different movies. You also can adjust 3D depth in “Settings”. Try different 3D depth, you can get different 3D effect on CV1.
Step 4: Finally, click the “Convert” button on program interface to start ripping Blu-ray to side-by-side 3D MP4 video. After it finished, open output file destination, locate the created SBS 3D MP4 video.
Get the adapter installed:
Installation took a couple hours as I had to fuss with the xbox wireless driver. So I don’t use windows update (offline computer) but I wanted to use my wireless xbox one controller with the win 10 usb adapter in windows 7, searched online but found very little, the following are the steps I took to get the wireless controller working in an offline windows 7 machine (minus the transfer of files), hope this will help anyone having issues with win 7 and the xbox one wireless adapter
1. Go to: catalog.update.microsoft.com (it has to be opened with Microsoft Internet Explorer)
2. Search for “Xbox Wireless” which should give you 13 results (install the add on if it prompts you)
3. Find “Microsoft – Generic Controller – Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows” 1.8mb and 1.7mb click add for both
4.click the basket at the top of the screen near the search bar
5. click download, choose a location, continue
6. in the folder you downloaded the drivers into choose either amd or x86 (for intel) depending on your setup
7. unzip the contents to a folder of your choosing
8. go to device manager from control panel (if your control panel shows view by category click category and choose small icons)
9. find xbox acc and right click and update driver software, locate the folder you extracted the driver to and select it
10. after updating the driver it should be recognized under network adapters as xbox wireless adapter for windows
11. pair your controller (click the button on the wireless adapter, it should start flashing, click and hold the wireless button on the controller for a few seconds until it flashes differently, let go and it should finish pairing when the light stays solid on both the controller and the wireless adapter)
12. if your controller has a yellow hazard sign in control panel, device manager, highlight it and uninstall it
13. you should be good to go from here, after it reinstalls the controller will be visible in control panel, devices and printers, right click xbox acc and click game controller settings, your controller should appear in this list when it is turned on
14. if it’s not working in games go to control panel, device manager, expand Human Interface Devices and find HID compliant game controller, right click and update driver, use the same driver you used above for the wireless adapter, after updating it should show in the Human Interface Devices list as XINPUT compatible HID device, it will now work in games
Play 3D Blu-ray Rips with Whirligig on CV1:
I was able to successfully play my 3d video files in this player. I used the free version. Note that this app is not curated by Oculus so I had to edit my Oculus settings to allow unknown apps. The UI and controls are functional but not polished. For my purposes it’s good enough and I am happy. I use the xbox controller with this app. Note that re-centering does not work with this app for some reason, so it is important to:
1) Launch Whirligig on your desktop.
2) Get into position with your camera and headset.
3) Put on the headset while in your desired position. Then it will adopt your position as of putting on the headset for the first time after launching the app on your desktop.
4) If you mess up and lock in a bad position then you need to remove the headset, close the app on the desktop, relaunch and try again.
Also note that I had to manually change my playback target from my external speakers to the Rift’s speakers in Windows.
- Convert 3D MKV/FLV/YouTube/Blu-Ray To 3D MP4 For ANTVR Kit
- Make 3D Movies For Your Samsung Gear VR With Old Movie Library And Blu-Ray/DVD Disc
- How to Play a 3D Video on a VR Headset?
- DVD Playback in TV with Gear VR + Chromecast
- Convert 3D MKV/FLV/WMV/AVI to Galaxy S5/iPhone 6 For Watching on ZEISS VR One