12 Oscar-Winning Movies You Say You’ll Watch But Never Do
Every year, awards season trumpets all the movies you should have seen in theaters but didn’t because reasons. And every year, you add more to your growing list of Oscar-winners you have yet to see.
Oh we’ve been there. From “Lawrence of Arabia” to “Gone With the Wind,” there’s a collective guilt us movie fans feel when we realize we’ve seen “Mannequin 2” (cringe) or a Paul Blart joint instead of an Oscar-winning classic collecting dust in our queue.
As the 2016 Oscars loom, here are 12 films on everyone’s viewing list usually filed under “really wanna watch but, yeah, probably won’t.” They’re not all Best Picture winners — some won solely for acting or behind-the-camera achievements. But all are movies we feel sorry not sorry about not seeing.
It’s embarrassing, but true: You’ve never seen “Gone With the Wind.” Or (gasp!) “The Godfather.” You’ve always meant to. Your friends can’t believe it! But you have your reasons. Here are 12 classics that, if you haven’t watched by now, you probably never will.
1. ‘Gone With the Wind’ (1939)
Sure, it won a gazzilionty Oscars and is a pop culture touchstone, but…
1) It’s racist.
2) It’s sexist
3) It’s loooong. (Still the longest film to win Best Picture at 3 hours and 58 minutes).
2. ‘The Grapes of Wrath’ (1940)
Why haven’t you seen this yet?
1) Forced to read the book in school.
2) Seems really *cough* dry.
3) Looks depressing as hell.
3. ‘Citizen Kane’ (1941)
Yes, it’s the “best movie of all time.” So why haven’t you watched it?
No movie can live up to that hype.
2) I already know what “Rosebud” is.
3) I saw “The Simpsons” parody so I’m good.
4. ‘Casablanca’ (1942)
You’re holding out because:
1) I already know all the lines: “We’ll always have Paris,” “Beginning of a beautiful friendship,” etc.
2) Because everyone keeps telling me I need to watch it.
3) It feels like I’ve already seen it.
5. ‘Sunset Blvd.’ (1950)
You’ve skipped this iconic movie about the dark side of Hollywood because:
1) I already know the “I’m ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille” scene.
2) I like my movies about Hollywood to be upbeat and cheery.
3) I’m a struggling screenwriter; it just hits too close to home.
6. ‘The African Queen’ (1951)
The movie that finally won Bogie an Oscar! Your excuse:
1. Bogart Schmogart!
2. Never did like Katharine Hepburn
3. Feel like I might get malaria just from watching it.
7. ‘The Ten Commandments’ (1956)
You haven’t seen this epic because:
Bible epics = snooze city
2) Isn’t it really, really long? (Yes, 3 hours, 40 minutes).
3) Not a Charlton Heston fan.
8. ‘The Seventh Seal’ (1957)
Film professors the world over are crying because you haven’t seen this Ingmar Bergman classic. That’s because:
1) Aren’t Swedish movies really depressing?
2) It’s about death… playing chess?
3) Symbolism just isn’t my thing.
9. ‘Ben-Hur’ (1959)
This Oscar-winning epic has chariot racing! Jesus! Homo-eroticism! And you won’t watch it because:
1) It’s hella long (3 hours 44 minutes).
2) I despise chariot races.
3) Again with Charlton Heston!
10. ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ (1962)
Atticus Finch himself is going to scold you for not seeing this. You tell him:
1) But I read the book!
2) Yes, sir, I’ll watch it right away.
3)Aren’t you a racist now?
11. ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ (1968)
Most film buffs love this Kubrick classic. As for you:
I’m just going to watch “The Shining” again.
2) I’ve heard it’s really slow and the ending makes no sense.
3) I prefer my astronauts to be wisecracking potato farmers.
12. ‘The Godfather’ (1972)
You will never attain the rank of die-hard film buff if you don’t watch this. Your excuse:
I’m waiting to see it on the big screen.
2) I saw “Godfather III” and that was terrible, so…
3) I’m really more into rom-coms.
Now if you want to watch these classic Oscar-winning movies, it will be a little harder to download HD source from torrent sites. Maybe you can try to search the Blu-ray/DVD discs from store.
Best Video Convert to Convert Oscar-winning movies to PC/Tablet/Phone/TV
After you downloaded a classic Oscar-winning movie and want to watch it on your iPad Pro, you probably find that this Oscar movies can’t be played on iPad Pro since iPad Pro only supports mp4, mov, m4v instead of your MKV, AVI, FLV movies. Under this condition, if you insist on watching the Oscar movie on iPad Pro you have to convert the HD MKV, AVI, FLV to iPad Pro supported format.
Another case, with the The 88th Academy Awards ceremony is go on taking place, you may want to review a classic Oscar-winning movie with your friends on wide screen TV or a Projector, but the old disc-based Oscar movie is easy to scratch, you can simply rip and backup this classic Oscar-winning movie to External Hard Drive, Cloud Storage, NAS, Seagate Wireless Plus, WD My Cloud, iTunes, etc so that you can watch the Oscar-wining movies you never watch before on TV, Tablet, Laptop, Projector, iPhone 6S, iPad Pro, PS4, Surface Pro 4 via Home Network or USB port.
All of the above media solutions need to be released with the help of video transcoder.
Here, Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate is recommended for the below function:
- Transcode 4K/2K/SD/HD MKV, MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, FLV, H.265, etc to another file format.
- Circumvent copy protection, like encryption and other similar technology in Blu-ray/DVD discs and shift format.
- 1:2 Backup Blu-ray/DVD with the original video structure and all info,
- Rip Blu-ray/DVD to H.265, M3U8, MP4, MKV, MOV, FLV, WMV, ProRes, etc SD/HD video file.
- Has optimized preset for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, PS4, Surface Pro, LG/Samsung/Sony/Panasonic TV and other media players and devices.
- Backup Blu-ray/DVD/Video to any other storage devices, including DLNA-based NAS or some USB stick.
- Trim & crop video
- Split & merge video
- Adjust video size, bitrate, frame rate.
- Adjust audio codec, channel, sample rate.
- Adjust display aspect ratio
- Deinterlace the video
- Add external srt.ass.ssa to video
- Batch conversion
Free download and install
– Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/blu-ray-video-converter-ultimate/
– Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-Video-Converter-Ultimate/3000-2194_4-75938564.html